Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Christmas colours from the Australian bush


My lounge room resembles a jungle at the moment - I'm in the midst of a series of textile designs with Australian wildflowers as the subject matter and I find it much easier to draw from real life than from photographs. My favourite design so far is of a deep red kangaroo paw, and the bunch I bought from my local fruit shop are still looking good two weeks later. They sure can drink though - I have re-filled the large vase they are sitting in about 3 times!



For a bit of design inspiration I made a visit to the RBG Australian Garden at Cranbourne, where the Kangaroo Paws were putting on quite a show. I think a big bunch of these will make a great table centrepiece for Christmas Day lunch.








 I would love to make a visit to Western Australia to see these beautiful wildflowers in their natural habitat. One day.....

No comments:

Post a Comment